Codeine Phosphate(30mg)(0 customer reviews)
What is Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM)
The name of your medicine is CODEINE PHOSPHATE TABLETS (PSM).
The active ingredient is called codeine phosphate hemihydrate.
Codeine phosphate hemihydrate belongs to a group of medicines called analgesics,
which are used to block pain.
It is an opioid analgesic, and it acts by blocking pain and your emotional response to
Codeine phosphate is indicated for:
• the relief of mild to moderate pain (including pain associated with terminal
illness, post-operative pain, headache and cough),
• the relief of symptoms of diarrhoea (except diarrhoea caused by poisoning).
Your doctor may have prescribed Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM) for another
Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why Codeine Phosphate Tablets
(PSM) has been prescribed for you.
Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM) are available only with a doctor's prescription.
Codeine is an addictive substance
When you must not use it
Do not use Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM) if you have a known
hypersensitivity/are allergic to:
• Codeine phosphate, other opioids (such as morphine or oxycodone), or any of
the ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet;
Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction to codeine phosphate may
include red, itchy skin rashes; difficulty breathing; faintness; hay fever and
swelling of the face or throat;
Do not use Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM) if you:
• are aged less than 12 years.
• are an adolescents aged less than 18 years for pain following surgery to
remove tonsils or adenoids;
• are an adolescents aged less than 18 years in whom respiratory function
might be compromised;
• are breastfeeding;
• are experiencing breathing difficulties such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema,
obstructive airways disease;
• suffer acute alcoholism, or have recently ingested a large amount of alcoholic
• have recently had a head injury or a condition that raise the pressure within your
• are at risk of paralysis of the intestine;
• have liver failure;
• have heart failure secondary to chronic lung disease;
• are suffering from diarrhoea caused by poisoning or antibiotics;
• are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (medicines for treating depression or
mood swings) or it is within fourteen days of stopping such treatment.
Do not give Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM) to:
• Children aged less than 12 years.
• Adolescents aged less than 18 years for pain following surgery to remove
tonsils or adenoids;
• Adolescents aged less than 18 years in whom respiratory function might be
compromised; Women who are breastfeeding
Do not use Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM) after the expiry date (EXP) printed on
the pack has been reached.
If you take it after the expiry date has passed, it may have no effect at all, or worse,
there may be an entirely unexpected effect.
If you are not sure whether you should start using Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM),
talk to your doctor.
Codeine Phosphate Tablets (PSM) should not be used during pregnancy without
consulting your doctor.
Codeine phosphate hemihydrate is distributed to the breast milk so should not be
usedfor breastfeeding mothers.
Elderly patients are more likely to have less effective kidney function due to age.
This may increase the risk of side effects.